Q. I am a one-person shop. How can I promote my business by writing about it?
A. If you are self-employed or own a small business, use your website, blog and all available social media to promote your expertise.
- Add relevant copy to your website and blog.
- Write about your proficiency in your industry, not about yourself.
- Divulge a good idea or 2 to show that you really know your stuff.
- Be specific in your advice so that readers can actually take a step you recommend.
- Limit your content to your experience, capabilities and expertise. Skip your pets, travels and rants.
- Post your writing on other people’s blogs.
- Prepare one- and two-minute presentations (for elevators and formal meetings) about your capabilities and qualifications.
- If you cannot write well, invest in a professional writer (not a hungry English major).